30 Aug How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Car?
Shipping your car across state lines can be incredibly nerve-wracking. Will something happen to your car in the middle of transporting it? How much money will you have to pay to ensure the safe transport of your vehicle? However, it is often necessary to transport vehicles for personal moves, dealer relocations, seasonal residence, are for a salvage vehicle.
Let’s explore several factors to consider before selecting your auto transport service:
- Distance: If you are shipping your vehicle in-state, your transport quote will be lower than someone in Canada requesting delivery in California. Some distance-related charges that factor into the shipping total include gas, tolls, and border crossing costs. However, if you are shipping your vehicle across the border or over a long distance, some auto transport companies will offer package pricing.
- Location:Not only is distance a factor in shipping costs, but the location can cause a price increase. Auto shipping companies may not have many transport vehicles available for car owners who are located in remote areas compared to those in a major city. Therefore, smaller city pickup and delivery locations may cost more.
- Car Size:Your vehicle size and modifications do play a role in transport cost simply because larger cars take more space; if your vehicle is over sized, you may be charged more for the added room. Additionally, large vehicles need more adjustments and accommodations for their weight.
- Type of Transport:Worried about your vehicle being damaged if it travels in the open? You can pay extra to have your vehicle encased in a cover or, especially if you have a luxury vehicle, have your vehicle placed in a protective, closed carrier. This type of auto transport costs more for shipping; however, it can be a worthwhile investment if you are concerned about debris from other cars, ice, snow, and other hazardous conditions.
- Timeframe: If you need an exact pickup or delivery date, expect to pay a little extra upfront. Expedited shipments can add to the price.
- Season: You know when snowbird season has arrived—suddenly, everyone is escaping to the warmer states to wait out the winter. Typically, Northern U.S and Canadian clients will see a slight surge in pricing during these months to accommodate the increased demand for auto transport. This is especially true during the holiday months of December and January.
- Quality of the Company:When shipping your car, you want to ensure that the company is reputable and is covered by at least $50,000 in insurance. Oftentimes, car owners will select companies based on the best deal for their desired time frame, but this will not always work in their favor, especially if the auto transport company doesn’t cover damages and/or has a history of filed complaints. In these cases, paying a little extra for a quality shipping company is better.
If you need additional information or want an estimate from one of Big Sky Auto Transport’s service experts you can request an Instant Quote or call (406) 453-4590.